Friday, March 21, 2008

Match Day!

So yesterday was the big Match Day for all 4th year medical students across the country. On Monday, we found out that Nick had officially matched into an orthopedic surgery residency program which was a huge relief and I was really proud of him. But we had to wait until Thursday to find out where we would be spending the next 5 years.

Wake Forest has all of the 4th year students come to the mail room and check their mailboxes at the same time. This is us anxiously waiting for them to let Nick in.
This is Nick opening the letter to find out that we will be spending the next 5 years in Erie, Pennsylvania where he'll do residency at Hamot Medical Center. Nick said it felt a little like opening his mission call. But like my sister Debbie said, at least he gets to bring his wife and kids with him this time. Although it is for 5 years instead of 2. There's always trade offs. After the shock wore off and I was able to find out a little more about Erie, we are really excited to move there. It seems like a great area. . . I'm just a little use to North Carolina winters and I'm a little afraid to experience the Erie winters. You wouldn't know that I grew up in Utah.


7 comments:

Miss Pete said...

I'm so excited for you guys. It will be great...once you buy some long underwear, coats, gloves, earmuffs, scarves, boots, and an ice scraper for the car. Next Christmas you can put a snow blower at the top of your list (I'm assuming a shovel would be too overwhelming to use). Just think, now Addie and baby can build lots of snowmen.

Nick and Deanne said...

Thanks a lot. I'm going to be hoping for a huge snow storm to hit California next year. :)

Emily Evans said...

Congrats! Sounds like it will be a fun adventure.

Emma and Dan said...

I'm so happy for you all that Nick is doing an orthopedic surgery rotation! I only wish that you were staying here - or leaving and then coming back like the Gassers. :) Congrats on going to Erie, PA. Just think of all the cute pictures you'll have of the kids in snow suits.

Miss Pete said...

Keep your eye out for Jon & Kate plus 8. They live somewhere in "Central Pennsylvania". At least that's what it says at the beginning. If you happen to see them, let them know how much I like them. :)

Johnson said...

Deb, that is like the kid last night who asked us if we knew Barb?!?! We said, "Um no, who is Barb?" And he said, "Oh, she is my teacher at UVSC and she also lives in S.F!" Oh, did you say Barb? Oh of course we know Barb! Weirdo!!!

Dina, I need not comment because I gave a tribute to you on my blog!! Now pay up!! Oh, but tell tooter..I mean Nick congrats!!!

Melissa said...

Congrats! I must admit I am a little bummed you aren't coming here. I had my fingers crossed--apparently not tight enough! But, you are super close to NYC=shopping, YEAH!!! Enjoy these last few months in WS. I miss more than I ever thought I would!